Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tumblr Taking Over?

Browsing though some catalogs of graphic novels for my store, I came across this gem to describe Young Avengers: Style > Substance  -
Fight scenes! Fake IDs! And plentiful feels! (aka "meaningful emotional character beats" for people who aren't on tumblr.) Young Avengers is as NOW! as the air in your lungs, and twice as vital. Hyperbole is the BEST! THING! EVER!
This is not only what I see as a potential buyer for a store, which is also....odd because as far as I know we book buyers are not known for being on Tumblr overly much. I mean, I am, but so far as I know there isn't a tag for bookstore book buyers.

This is what YOU, random comic book reader, would see as the description online. This is how they are trying to sell the series to you, with an in-joke to a social media site known for gifsets and odd grammar. The Young Avengers fandom on tumblr must be bigger than I thought.

Tumblr, I blame you for this, and I'm not sure if I should feel self-satisfied or deeply ashamed.  It's true that Young Avengers saw a lot of response on tumblr, but this is nonsense. The only other explanation is that the person writing the blurbs is a) on Tumblr and/or b) is involved in the Young Avengers fandom on there. o_O Marvel, are you planting spies now?

...I have also now ordered this and all other volumes of the current Young Avengers. So, yay marketing?

2 comments:

  1. The writer and artist of young avengers, as well as many other comic book writers and artists are on tumblr they are all extremly active taking questions and posting behind the scenes type things also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I did not know that, I will have to try and track them down. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete